London, United Kingdom Gb

I have a small established bed of aquilegias and a couple of new beds this season grown from seed, I haven't had a single flower this year, does anyone have any idea what has gone wrong? Thx in advance

Asked from the GoYpedia aquilegias page

if you only grew them this year you probably wont get flowers till next year as they are springtime/early summer plants, so leave them and hopefully you will get flowers next year

I can't imagine why the established plants didn't flower, though...I haven't heard of anyone else having this problem.

no its the new beds that havent flowered barbara i think anyway, sounds like it ;o)

Thanks for your responses so far. Just to clarify it is both the established and new beds that didn't flower hence my concern.

No wonder you're asking this question! That's very surprising. Are there any signs of insect infestation or marks on the leaves?

arr right that is strange but im not sure about that one sorry ;o(

Did the established ones try to grow flower stalks, but the buds failed, or were they just all leaves?

AS far as I could tell, the established ones were / are just all leaves. Thanks for all of your replies so far!!

Nope, I'm afraid that I'm stumped, too, Blues. The only thing I can think of is that the young flower stalks may have been chewed by snails before you even noticed them, but they still should have tried again. Things to check for:
What is the light level? Columbine can take shade, but few plants will produce flowers in very deep shade.
How close are the plants to each other? Overcrowding can prevent bloom--though you still should have gotten some!
Well, I'm still thinking. I will post if my bright ideas stop burning out.

I have a lot of aquilegias, and 'my' snails don't touch them...I'm puzzled too. Blues - did you check the leaves for marks or insects?

Thanks for all of your replies, it is a complete mystery to me! I'll have to let youknow what happens next year lol!!

OK. If there's no obvious reason, it's patience time, I'm afraid. Sorry we couldn't help, though. Keep in touch...

• Aquilegia ' Clementine '
  • A garden flower photo
  • Aquilegia Winky series  (aquilegia)
  • Aquilegia