bloomer

By Bloomer

yorkshire, United Kingdom Gb

My Phygelius hasn't any flowers on ,and no sign of any.It was given to me last year at this time,from a friends divided plant,and has made plenty of growth.I
have noticed on close inspection,that there are a lot of tiny holes on the leaves.Could you please advise me,as to why it isn't flowering?It is the yellow variety,and is in a sheltered sunny position,and good soil..Would appreciate your comments,thank you..

Garden_2010_140

Answers

I have exactly the same problem with my salmon coloured one this year Bloomer never happened before, so I'll be interested to see if anyone has an answer, did have a few flowers but they didn't open just went black and fell off, strange.

That's odd, because mine's misbehaving this year too - it did have flowers earlier on, but nothing since, not sure why.
The holes in yours are sufficient to make me wonder about shothole, but the causes of this are many and varied - can be fungal or bacterial, but I don't see any signs of yellow circles round the holes, nor any brown spots anywhere, so maybe just some critter having dinner.

I have 3 dark red ones which have struggled to produce some flowers and a pale yellow one which is flowerless. None of my varieties have grown a whole lot either. I've seen some of the orange variety in a garden I pass which seems to be flourishing.

I have 7 different ones and all but 2 are resistant to flowering. the 2 that have got the least freeze in the winter and the most moisture now. so I suspect the answer is down to the weather. Most of mine are in semi shade by the way.

Many thanks for your comments,it seems we have similar problems.I will be visiting my friend in Lincolnshire next week,so will see how hers is faring.Looks like a few of us will be flowerless this year then..oh,well,can't win em all.!!..Shame,as it survived the winter ok,and has grown well.
Bamboo,when you mentioned critters,it is quite near to my bird feeders,do you think that would have anything to do with the holes in the leaves,and maybe nipping the new flowerbuds off ?We have had lots of young birds who look for aphids etc in that area.....Just a thought..

Well I've never seen bird damage on leaves - I suppose its possible, but I think it unlikely.

Bloomer - thanks to Beattie, (she tracked your question down) I have an answer for you - mine looks just like yours, only worse, in fact, and I've just realised its infested with capsid bug - you can't see them, but the damage is typical. If yours is still suffering, you need to spray with something containing either bifenthrin, pyrethrum or idomoproclid (which is Provado Ultimate I think). I posted a question to tell you this yesterday cos I couldn't remember who'd asked the original question, but Beattie pointed me here.

Mine are suffering badly Bamboo, so thanks very much for that, baffled me as to what it was, will get some of the spray you recommended :-)

Usually you'd expect the leaves to be distorted as well, if its been there some time - and please, spray at dusk, when the bees aren't working, especially with the Provado one, which is known to upset bee colonies. I used a spray with bifenthrin rather than Imidiproclid.

Have several and only ones affected Bamboo,looks just like Bloomers picture, holes in all the leaves and no flowers, will be very careful when I spray and look for the one with bifenthrin,have some honey bee hives on allotments at bottom of garden, so don't really like using sprays that will harm them, as do get lots in the garden.

I had to spray my Salvia Mystic Spires, which has bright blue spikes at the top, and the bees love them - so there I was, at dusk, carefully avoiding spraying the flowers and doing just the leaves. I'm not happy about imidproclid, though I hear they've got a new version out which is less harmful, but even so...

Oh,dear,Bamboo.I shouldn't have been so impatient,..I dug it up,last weekend,as it wasn't improving at all !! Hey ho,thats life...I now have a Fuchsia tub filling the gap,till I decide what to plant in its place..Lol.I really appreciate your comments about the cause and the solution though,and I will certainly remember for the future,if I buy another one...Thank you..

Well if I hadn't been so slow in realizing what the problem was ... trouble is, I'm fairly relaxed about insects eating bits of plants, so until it becomes a major problem, I don't notice or ignore it (well, in my own garden anyway, lol)

Thanks for the detective work Bamboo. Having read up about capsid bug I think that might be what's been affecting my newly planted (in January) whitebeam sapling. Some of the new growth looks "wrong" with lacey leaves and wonky stems. I thought it had got damaged when it got caught up in a nearby gorsebush and I restaked it more carefully. Looks like a trip to get something to treat capsid bug is in order.

Its very odd - there must be a lot of it about this year, I've never had a problem before, not in any of my client's gardens either.

If I just leave it do you think it will only get worse next year or will it burn itself out / go back to normal?

No problem,Bamboo,that's gardening...and to be honest,I never knew anything about capsid bug damage anyway,so would never have found out, but for your info.I will know what to do if I get it again.Also,the plant would probably have got too big where it was eventually,so easier to dig up now,than the thug it can grow into,apparently...Ta...

No sure, Beattie - it overwinters near the ground on any foliage it can find. I suspect most years it can be safely ignored, but, in my patch, not this year - far too much damage on too many plants (Acer, Echinops, Salvias, Phygelius, even my Euryops)