By David

Fife, Scotland Sco

Clivia minata/miniata. ("Kaffir Lily")

In March, I was given a seed pod from which I got three "seeds". Despite having (as turns out) gone about it all wrongly, except for keeping them partially above compost level, and allowing the compost to dry out between waterings (more accidental than intentional), 2 of the 3 have finally produced shoots. How should I progress from here, please?

On plant Clivia

Clivia2 Clivia1

hey David
just been catching up on and found are they doing?

Still alive, Sandra, with 3 leaves each. Am winding down with the watering now. Was thrilled to see 2 of the 3 germinate, as this is new for me. :-))

i havent tried plants made some seeds last year but the rotted on the plants...maybe next time..

That's a shame!! I was all set to let the seeds dry off, but read that this is the worst thing to do! You have to extract them from the pod and plant immediately. Thank Goodness I found this out straight away! :-))

when did you know when they were ripe?

Just by the bright red colour of the berry, and firmness when pressed, I suppose, Sandra. All just luck, really.

• In full bloom......... (Clivia miniata (Clivia))
  • Clivia miniata (Kaffir Lily) (Clivia miniata (Clivia))
  • Clivia closeup........ (Clivia miniata (Clivia))
  • Clivia (Clivia miniata (Clivia))