By Lydia

London, United Kingdom Gb

If I buy lavender plug plants does anyone have any idea how fast they might grow? I'm really keen to create a low growing hedge with the 'peter pan' variety, but I want it to look like a nice full hedge by next summer! I'm struggling to find a garden centre or online supplier that has any larger pots of peter pan, they all now only seem to be offering plug plants?

come next year they should be about12 - 18 inches high, especially around august time. but give them time they will get to the height you want and especially if you plant them now

These are poor soil and low water plants and you cannot hurry them. Planted a foot apart they will take some time to meet. But they can make a lovely compact hedge. All the sites I tried have sold out - the season is over now. Plugs should grow if watered this year.
I planted a small plant of Hidcote in the gap in mine this spring I have watered it but its hardly changed - much as I expected in its first year. If you wait till the larger ones are available you might be happier sooner with the results ?

just realised I never said thank you to you both - moving into our new house has been somewhat hectic!! I think I will give the plugs a go and then I can always buy some more established plants next year if they need filling out a bit!

Hope all is going well with the move Lydia

• My front garden this week ...
  • Lavender border.
  • Lavender Hidcote, Thyme and Sedum (Lavandula angustifolia (Lavender))
  • Lavender  (Lavandula stoechas (French lavender))