Does anyone know what this bug is ? We've seen a couple round the garden. One was on the Sweet William & another on the Lillies. Is it a goodie or baddie?

On plant Four Banded Longhorn Beetle (Leptura quadrifasciata).

I think it is a goody but cant remember its name. if no one here can id it send photo to the natural history museum, they are doing an id offer at the moment.

Thanks SBG - it had big fangs

Yes, it's one of the Longhorn Beetles (their grubs eat wood). Not sure of the exact species though.

Got it! Four Banded Longhorn Beetle (Leptura quadrifasciata).

Thanks Fractal - is it harmless ?

Yes, completely.

I'm sure i saw this one on another gardening forum i look at, the person had posted a picture of hers and it looks just the same.

Have a peek at www., click on forum (it'll bring up another window) and go to 'Wildlife' and you'll be able to compare it with theirs and read their info.

As I use this site too I have added the correct species name to it.

I wouldn't care but I had already commented on it though didn't look into it any further than just accepting the species of Longhorn Beetle suggested (which is similar) but the black markings on that named species are not as regular.

Looked at the other site Fractal & think I found your answer - thanks.
Four Banded Longhorn Beetle (Leptura quadrifasciata) ? Still looks scary to me & makes my skin crawl but at least you advise it's a good one so it'll be welcome here - thanks :o)