how do you pronounce the word Sphaerocephalon

On plant Allium sphaerocephalon

I pronounce it as sf-air-o-sef-a-lon. dont know if thats right mind :o)

That's how I pronounce it.

I'd say it with a hard "c" - sfer-o-kef-a-lon

You say tomato ...

hi thats good Fractal. I often get funny looks from people.

It's all (ancient) Greek to me anyway....well apart from the Latin that is mostly used in binomial nomenclature. We should of course say scientific name rather than Latin as Greek is used frequently too albeit a latinised form of it. It breaks down completely when you use the surname of a person in the species name such as: Gunn=gunnii or Johnston=Johnstonii.

that is so true Fractal. I was always taught single c was s and cc was k but it only applied if the c was in the middle of a word. arggggh!

Yes, I hope you pronounce my name Fraktal and not Frastal :-) Lol

I have heard (and read) that Ceanothus can be pronounced two ways, hard and soft......Tomayto/tomarto!

Well according to my idiot's guide to pronunciation of Plant names, you're right about Ceanothus, Fractal, it is, c or k - as for the sphearea thingummy originally asked about, the book shows a soft c in the middle, so you're right, Seaburngirl!

I can spell it as I write it from time to time, but Its one of those words I never speak! as I either order them on line or grab some in the GC. I call mine 'those pretty pink Alliums that come out in July' and always get the right response, wish it was that easy with other plants lol.

• Allium sphaerocephalon. (Allium sphaerocephalon (Round-headed leek))
  • Allium and bees (Allium sphaerocephalon (Round-headed leek))
  • Allium Sphaerocephalon  (Roundheaded Leek) (Allium sphaerocephalon (Round-headed leek))
  • Allium sphaerocephalon (Allium sphaerocephalon (Round-headed leek))

« Does saxifraga die back completely?