Florida, United States Us

I am trying to identify a tree that I found in Zone 9. I attached a picture of the leaf and acorn. Could be a southern red oak, but Zone 9 may be out of its range and the acorn does not look like a southern red oak in my opinion

Welcome. Sugarloaf!
I notice that the acorns are pretty immature, so it's hard to use them for identification. The leaf pretty well matches Southern Red Oak (Quercus falcata), and the U.S. Forest Service fact sheet on the tree

indicates that it could well be planted in zone 9, even if it doesn't grow wild there.

Thanks - I agree the leaf is a perfect match. The thing that threw me off was the acorn not matching. I am curious why so many acorns are droping if they are immature.

I want to try and grow this from the from the seeds, but if the acorn is immature my sucess rate may not be good.

With the live oaks we grow here, only about 10% of the female flowers that come out in the spring actually mature into acorns. The rest drop off at varying intervals through the summer. Look for mature acorns in October or November.