my new zephrine douhin bloomed once in June and now has long spindly dark red stems and leaves. What to do?? (zone 5)

Are these the stems which flowered, or are they new growth? Ensure they're not suckers, which will grow from below the graft point at the bottom of the rose, but many roses produce new growth that's quite red to look at initially.

Thanks, Bamboo. Definitely some new growth and may have been stems which flowered. Saw them so briefly, not sure. Planted this Spring and 2 blossoms and 8 buds in June. All dead/past bloom when I returned 2 wks. later. I haven't yet found out if they usually rebloom. Do you know this and, if they don't, should I cut back the stems? Thank you v. v. much. 1st time ANYTHING has grown in this area!

Deadhead regularly, and it should be repeat flowering throughout the summer (with gaps in between, of course) but the deadheading is essential.

« How can I get rid of 'Mares Tails' ?