South Lanark, United Kingdom Gb

Gypsophila paniculata - I have tried to grow this (perrenial) without success in various parts of my garden... any ideas of why it might not grow?

Not sure, but they like well drained, neutral to alkaline soils - I've tried growing it too here in London, but it never survives the winter. Probably our neutral to acid clay I expect!

Thanks Bamboo, I've tried it my gravel garden too, as I thought the reason it hadn't survived the first time was that it was too acid in my borders, and I also tried growing in a planter but still no luck. Maybe it gets too much frost here and yet my gran had lots in her garden tho' she was closer to the sea so perhaps had a milder climate in winter?

Perhaps, but its supposed to be hardy - I love it and am sorry it just won't grow for me and if only I knew why!

| live in Northumberland and I can grow Gypsophila very easily. I give it no special attention. I have alkaline clay soil.

The key thing is not to cut it back at all in autumn or winter. Yes, it looks untidy but only cut back when the new growth starts on the lower part of the stems in spring and only back to that. The stems die right back past their buds if you "tidy" it up before spring.

i kept it for 5 yrs but I havent seen it this year after the winter cold.

Maybe it's the alkaline clay soil then? Mine's possibly too acidic for it, but I'd have thought it would have done ok in the gravel area which is more alkaline and well drained.

I've never been successful growing it in my garden. I've tried planting in garden and pots. I've tried growing from seed and bought root systems, even small plants but all to no avail. I gave up trying out of sheer frustration. I've had the same trouble with Lily-of-the-Valley.

Thanks all.