Does your Sea Holly stink?

KIZIBU

By Kizibu

Sussex, United Kingdom Gb

We have this grogeous sea-holly next to our patio. The picture hardly does credit to the faboulous blue coloured stems and fowers. But it smells awful - so awful we can't eat on our patio any longer. The semll frankly is like faeces. For a long time we blamed the foxes and cats that creep into our garden, crap and creep out again but have finally concluded its the Eryngium itself that pongs. I can't find any refrence to this on any website or gardening book (it used to be used as an aphrodisiac!)

What variety is this I wonder and should we try another more mellifluous kind? Peeeeuu.

On plant Eryngium

Sea-holly-for-web

Answers

??? Mine doesn't smell??? very puzzling.

Nor mine?????

Thanks Spritzhenry and Jacque for your replies. I'm quite amazed by the smell which is definitely from the Eryngium. Yet other sources say it is sweet smelling ands that the root was once eaten candied as a sweetmeat and is supposed to help the elderly to regain their sexual vigour! The only other mention of smelly sea holly I can find anywhere is here:

http://mrbrownthumb.blogspot.com/2007/07/eryngium-alpinum-alpine-sea-holly.html

Maybe some do and some don't. Does anyone recognise the variety from the picture? I think its probably Eryngium Planar though the smelly one mentioned above seems to have been E. Alpinum.

Kizibu

I know this might be a bit of an old thread but I had to reply to agree. I just realised that our Sea Holly Little Hobbit absolutely stinks as you described and was searching the internet when I came across your post. Absolutely disgusting.

Mine looks just like yours. And it to smell revolting I brought mine from seed and was so looking forwards to seeing it flower. I even gave my aunty and uncle and my mum and dad some for there gardens. The bees and butterfly's love it. But it the most disgusting smelling plant ive ever smelt.

Hi from Canada. The trick is to not let its flowers open--they indeed smell like cat poo. If you cut and dry it when bright blue but before flowers open, it does not smell.

• Eryngium giganteum  (Eryngium giganteum (Miss Willmott's ghost))
    Sid
  • Comma and Eryngium (Eryngium)
    Janey
  • Sea Holly alpina  "Blue star" (Eryngium planum (Sea Holly) Alpina)
    Pansypotter
  • Stipa tennuisima with Sea Holly (Eryngium variifolium)
    Paulthegard..