By Bernard

Cambridgeshire, United Kingdom Gb

Is this a goody or a baddy?

I would have to say a baddy I have it & it seeds everywhere & is not particularly very showy.

I view it as a weed

Isn't it a violet? Hard to tell from the pic because there is a weed with similar growth - did this have little violet flowers in Spring?

Doesn't look like violet leaves to me - at least not does not look like the ones in our garden. And I view those as a weed too as they spread so rapidly.

it would probably help if we knew which leaf we were talking about, if its the leaf on the top right it looks like symphytum to me, i have just dug loads of this plant out, it gets everywhere.

Yup that is the plant I was thinking of thank you Steve - another senior moment!

Stevebuk, the leaves we are talking about are the ones which occupy the centre of the picture.
Bamboo, the plant has only just appeared and hasn't flowered yet, there are some very small buds visible in the picture so it might be a good idea to wait util the flowers do appear and I'll re-publish the question.

That's the one I assumed you were talking about, Bernard, as its in the middle of the pic. I shall look forward to seeing the flowers.