By Rosie38

when is the best time to buy and plant a buddleia taking into consideration I live in the north east England.

You can plant a container grown specimen now - should be available at most garden centres. Keep well watered until late autumn, though.

anytime of year really. if you wait til they are in flower you will be able to chose the colour flower you want. there are many shades of lilac and pink as well as white and some golden ones. thesehave a different flower form and the B.globosa is also semi evergreen. We used to have one in our childhood home in Sunderland.

Pop to your garden centre and you will find loads and they are beautiful, I have three lilac,pink and a very dark purple, good for attracting butterflies, which I am sure you know. They can be planted anytime.

thanks for your help. I'm off to the garden centre this Sunday to buy my Buddliea!

• Our fragile fauna and flora
  • Bee in thistle 1
  • Bees on thistle 2
  • Honey Suckle