North Yorkshire, United Kingdom Gb

When manure is described as 'well rotted', how long will it have been allowed to rot as it were ? We have a friend with horses and they are happy to get rid of it and we would like some for our new raised bed, but I don't think they have any idea that it needs to be matured !!

Probably anything older than a year. Or untill no straw is left and its of an even consistency etc

Recently I heard at a talk that even well rotted manure can still contain traces of pesticides etc for a long time, so beware...

Thanks for that Nickyt08 & Weeding.

I bet they haven't got any that's that old. My husband was going to collect in bags and put in the car !! I think this might be a bad idea

Might have to think again on this one:%

Hi I was told that it has to be over two years old or it will burn the plants. I got some from the school farm that was this sort of age and it was amazing the difference. It didnt smell at all and was full of worms, so worth finding if you can.

You can always collect and allow to rot down yourself or add to compost

If you 'are' going to rethink it, some garden centres sell composted manure - i've bought it before.

« when should i prune my stellata