By Annieuk

Staffordshire, United Kingdom Gb

Dreary Callistemon..I have a Callistemon, bought about 2 months ago from a garden centre. I'm in the UK Specific species? it doesn't say.. It seems dreary!! Recently I have read callistemons are lime haters.Is this true? I have also read that they can be slow starters.The soil is....well I think it is on the clay side. I have been thinking of lifting it and planting into a container of ericaceous soil. What do you guys think?

Bottlebrush plants are quite soft and were classed as almost an exotic plant. They are best planted in a sheltered spot near a south facing wall where they will get a lot of sun and evening warmth? They need full sun to grow well in a free draining soil, so if you are on a clay soil it will be worth digging in some sharp sand. Lots of pics of Bottlebrush on here have a look via the search box top right.

thanks for your reply.......I was surprised when I read in some internet sites that they are lime haters as it didn't say on the label...but are they?

They grow well in a wide variety of soils, but avoid those that are highly alkaline.

According to my book, they do prefer acid soil, but will tolerate neutral soils.

thankyou all for your replies....will get photos asap