Nottinghamshire/Derbyshire border, England Eng

Strange shaped pods on the Greengage plum tree. It's never produced these before. They are like seed pods with a small seed in - not a stone. The tree is fruiting well with normal plums. Does anyone know why it's doing this. The photo shows the seed pod and a normal plum with stone.

023

Answers

it is a 'false' fruit. sometimes a flower is pollinated but then fails to fertilize and develop a true seed. the fleshy part forms from another part of the ovary that is fertilized by the pollen grain tube nucleus.

I think the two halves on the left are what are called "Pocket Plum" and are caused by one of the gall making fungi. It's specific to plums so it won't spread to other plants, only plums. It is related to other species such as Peach leaf curl fungus and also Azalea leaf gall fungus, each species attacking their respective specific hosts only.

Just looked for a suitable image and found this:

http://www.liveforgardening.com/questionsandanswers/weeds/138803/pocket_plum_problems.html

Thanks Sbg. I looked at the web site Fractal and these are exactly the same as we have. Don't fancy the job of removing them all but allas it's got to be done. That's our Saturday taken care of if the weather is kind.

I dismissed a gall at first , wish I had looked now. :o) I find the biology of galls really ineteresting too.
glad you got a correct diagnosis.

I had no idea Sbg and was glad for any advice. Thankyou.