Maine et Loire, France Fr

What is this tree... Fractal? I've clipped part of the photo in higher definition. Does this make any difference to identifying it?

Not so sure is Ligustrum lucidum now. Just realised that the flowers should be terminal in Ligustrun, not axillary as these appear to be. The leaves seem to be paired so that excludes Hoheria......

....I'll look into it!

Got it!

Chionanthus virginicus. Same plant family as Ligustrum (Oleaceae) so I was close. Gorgeous tree in flower.

It's a beaut, Bertie.

Thanks very much for the quick response. We were very struck by it. I must research it and see if it would survive in our garden. I think it's in a very mild spot near the river and chateau in our neighbouring town.

Looked it up. Perfectly hardy...good. Likes moist soil...good. But an acid lover! Drat! no good for our limey soil. Double drat!

That is a shame Bertie! I wonder if you could get one grafted onto either a Ligustrum or a Syringa rootstock? Wouldn't matter then.

An interesting idea, fractal.

Really good idea Fractal. I might get one and give it a try. I find doing a proximity graft is the easiest with most things as both plants go on growing while the graft is taking, and if it fails, you don't lose anything and can try again.

Good luck with that. You'll be selling Fringe Trees to the limestone populace soon!!!

can you use tap water for Acers »