By Louise1

Somerset, United Kingdom Gb

My Monarda Are Leggy.
I have 4 Monarda 'Prairie Nacht' which were planted about 18months ago, last year they were a nicely bushy plant but this year, they're currently about 2' high, they have no growth at the base - it starts about half way up.
Is this normal for them to be just bare stemmed at the lower half ?

On plant Monarda didyma

never grown it, but most herbaceous perennials should be cut to the ground in spring, and I'd be inclined to do that now with these, unless you don't mind the way they look.

These died back down completely in the winter Bamboo, this is all new growth, would you still cut them back ?

Yes I would, but then I'm just ruthless like that - if they don't perform well, they get a cut as a second chance!

its the 'chelsea chop' Louise.

Ah, is that what that means, Seaburngirl, I keep hearing that phrase - I've obviously been doing it for years, lol!

Won't this mean that i lose all the flowers that are to come though ?

They'll come through later, admittedly, but if you're anxious about doing it, leave them alone.

• Blooming Begins, Monarda (Monarda didyma (Bergamot))
  • Monarda 'Prairie Nights' (Monarda didyma (Bergamot))
  • Bergamot in Bed (Monarda didyma (Bergamot))
  • Bergamot 'Fireball Bee Balm' (Monarda didyma (Bergamot))