Devon, United Kingdom Gb

I have cropped the photo of the wasp to show the size of it . John & Gillian

Wow! Thats a Big'n

I think it might be a hornet - quite rare nowadays and harmless unless you really upset ut!!

Not a wasp, for sure.

I've had a look in our wise book, Collins complete British Wildlife, and yes I think that could be a hornet.

Hope it's not type of hornet that Janey wrote about in her blog! If it is, apparently it eats honeybees and has a sting which is very painful and can be lethal. She had one in her garden and said it was about 1.5". Please read her blog for more information.

It is indeed Vespa crabo (Common Hornet) and is a magnificent creature that is now sadly too rare.

the natural history website says that the euopean hornet is not the bee eating one and is docile do you think thats right Fractal?

Let's hope it is....:o)

They do kill the odd bee but bees are a small part of their grubs diet. They prefer easier targets really. They do far more good than bad so on balance, leave them alone and respect them for their beauty.

ps a car driving for twenty miles or more on a warm summers day kills far more insects (including bees of course) than any Hornet!

well put Fractal.
I can sympathise with people being a bit scared of them though, at this size. I think I would be too.

• Nigella ' Persian Jewels ' from Flowercrazy
  • Love is blossoming all over my yard it seems !
  • Damsol flies (for Sticki and Surreylad!)
  • Double Take!!