Ireland Ie

Thinking of making steps up to the house on an incline and hedging either side with lavandula papillion, does this seem right

On plant Lavandula papillon

Halcyon Plants recommend different varieties for hedging. Have a look in their website. As its on an incline the fact that they like well drained soil should be catered for.

Just remember that steps need to be at least nine inches wide and have a riser of no more than 6 inches for comfortable use.

Not sure I'd use that particular lavender, it can be a bit unreliable and look very tatty quite quickly - I'd use Lavender 'munstead dwarf' instead.

I put in steps only 2' wide and soon found out that two people cannot walk abreast in that width. You may not need a helping hand but some of your visitors may. If you are putting in a hedge the path needs to be wide enough so that you do not get soaked when it rains.

When I said 9 inches wide I meant from riser to lip, agree that the length should be wide enough for two people to walk side by side up them.

You may need to do some terracing of some sort to stop soil erosion, at least for the first season.

Another senior moment Owdboggy. I wondered why anybody would want such a narrow path lol. Do you think it is too much sun last week has gone for my brain.

• FRENCH_LAVENDER2.jpg (Lavandula papillon)
  • FRENCH_LAVENDER5.jpg (Lavandula papillon)
  • French Lavender (Lavandula papillon)
  • FRENCH_LAVENDER4.jpg (Lavandula papillon)