north east, United Kingdom Gb

I have just obtained my first allotment, its very overgrown but with help i should have it under control in the next week or so. Can anybody advise me of any veg that i can start of with at this time of year (from seed), or am i best to get the allotment cleared and under control and wait till next year for planting.

Hi Shovelshrower, I don't know whether you're better off preparing the allotment for next year and leaving the veg I'm afraid. However, if you want to plant from seed I planted spinach, spring cabbage, garlic and overwintering onions in September of last year - pics on my pages.

Sowing in September should give you time to clear and prepare the allotment and deal with the first wave of weeds before you sow your veg :o)

Agree with Peter to clear and leave.You might also find that you ve inherited some veg that not showing yet and may be worth salvaging.

Hi You may just have time to sow swede and savoy cabbage. Certainly spring cabbage and you could plant japanese wintering onions.

Good luck

• Winter vegetables at Heligan
  • Leeks
  • Winter Cabbage
  • Heligan