By Beattie

Cornwall, United Kingdom Gb

Trachelospermum - Following on from question 23740 from Bellyboop, I planted a Trachelospermum jasminoides last summer. It seems to have expired on me - no signs of growth so far. Do you think it was just a victim of an unusually cold winter & do you think a replacement plant would have more luck? Should I have organised some protection for it?

On plant Trachelospermum jasminoides

I think it was definitely the winter that put paid to it, specially as it only went in last summer. Unfortunate that it was the winter after planting it that was so bad. I'm sure in a normal year where you are, it would survive, unless it's in a bad frost pocket or something.

Thanks Bamboo - we're more on a windy cliff-top than a frost pocket, but it had a bit of a screen round it.

• Star Jasmine (Trachelospermum jasminoides (Star jasmine))
  • Trachelospermum with Mermaid Rose (Trachelospermum jasminoides (Star jasmine))
  • Autumn Red (Trachelospermum jasminoides 'variegatum')
  • Trachelospermum jasminoides Variegata (Trachelospermum jasminoides (Star jasmine))