sunflower

M4RK78

By M4rk78

I have been given a sunflower to look after for a few days, it was about a foot and half tall, not flowering yet. It was healthy looking when I got it but now the lower leaves are drooping. It doesn't need watering, the pot is heavy. The owner said it should be kept indoors. I kept it at my garage window on the first day thinking there would be enough light, it was after that it started to droop. Has it been too cold / dark in the garage. Is it likely to improve, I now have it at my kitchen window which will be warmer and there is more light.

Answers

Hi M4rk78. I have never heard of sunflowers inside! I have only ever seen them outside, in France for instance they grow everywhere and here too. They're supposed to be tough as nails, I've even seen them as weeds pop up on the side of the road here in cooler regions. I think it might be too wet in that pot, could that be so? I think the sun will do it wonders. Try it! Look up in googles how long they're supposed to be flowering for, perhaps this one is coming to its end. Good luck!

like marguerite says they need sunlight. put it in the sunniest place you have. if you have sunny patio that would be good? more sun the better but be on guard for snails. i also have never heard of growing them indoors, maybe owner is trying to protect from snails?

Hi M4rk78
If I were a sunflower in the UK at the moment I thinkI would be loosing more than my leaves !!!!!!
Like Hedgehog says put it outside in the 'sunniest ' place of your garden.
What size pot is it in ? It may be root bound and also hungary If it is 45 cm pot then should be in at least a 20 to 25 cm pot but really it will be best planted in the open ground
If moving outside does not work then put it on a plane to Margurite down under as even in her winter she should have the weather for it !!!!

Good idea, since this is not your sunflower to repot it, depending on how long you will have to look after it for. May I suggest to put charcoal on top of the soil ( inside the pot is good too, drainage and good for the plant, seems to be sweet ), because for sure snails HATE charcoal. It works, I have done it too. It is too harsh for their slimy bodies, so they avoid it. If you have a pot bellie stove, take the ashes. I don't know where else you get them from, but we had a wood heater. Good luck, but you know, sunflowers need sun, why else are they called sunflowers? If they were meant to be inside they would be wall flowers, LOL.

thanks very much guys. You reckon outside then? I live in Scotland so we're not having sunshine, even in July. It's alittle windy and is raining. I'm a bit worried, I am looking after this for only a few days while the little girl next door is on holiday, back tomorrow and her plant looks a bit worse for wear.

You reckon outside? The very top looks ok, it's about half way down the leaves have totally drooped. I'm sure my neighbour had said he had been keeping it indoors. :(

thanks for your feedback people, appreciate it.

so thats why its been indoors. Its a childs little project no wonder you are so worried. im in scotland too yeah we are having a washout of a summer. If you have a sunny window sill should be ok till she gets back mark. If shes back tomorrow it will be ok till then. dont want it to get a shock out in this wind and rain! If the top is ok then its fine.

• Our fragile fauna and flora
    Terratoonie
  • Bee in thistle 1
    Bonkersbon
  • Bees on thistle 2
    Bonkersbon
  • Honey Suckle
    Amy