suggestions for winter hanging baskets uk

By Kamal

can anyone suggest plants for winter hanging baskets .please note i am in london

Well, you can't beat variegated Hedera (Ivy) as a start, to trail, with Cyclamen for colour, and how about winter cherries - Solanum pseudocapsicum and Heathers/Heaths - Erica and Calluna. If you wanted to you could also use evergreen grasses for example Festuca glucus 'Elijah Blue' or one of the various Carex group. If you planted (very) dwarf bulbs at the bottom of the basket you'd get early spring colour and you could also add a Polyanthus or two when the Cyclamen finish. I hope this helps.

How about some winter pansies amongst the ivy?

Hi Kamala
There are 2 very good viola varieties bred for hanging baskets and not long on the market
Both are hardy and will do well overwinter in a hanging basket - especially in London
the names are
Endurio -out 2 years ago
Rebelina - just out this year
May be difficult to get in the garden centers so may have to order ( if the G C offers that service)

I do not think they will be available from seed but you could try to contact them to see

hey cheers all you helpful folks.