By Lozi

Devon, United Kingdom Gb

Hello, I have just planted some basil,corrainder and parsley in some small pots in the conservatory, how long do you think it will be before i can use any of them and do you think they will be better if they go outside? thankyou

Basil certainly can't go outside until all risk of frost is past, parsley will grow outside, but would need hardening off first, not sure about the coriander. You will be able to start eating the crops when there's enough leaf growth for you to use some and leave some - how long that will be depends on the size of the plants initially, and the growing conditions

coriander will take at least 2 to 3 months before you can use the leaves

Basil about 4 - 6 weeks. dont know about the others.

If you already have problems with slugs and snails then keep your Basil well away! They love it! In my experience I have found that Basil remains more tender if kept inside, or even just in an open greenhouse. If it's grown outside the leaves tend to get tough and therefore less appetising.