What are these larvae?

By Peter

Hampshire, England Eng

I am unearthing a lot of these as I remove the grass from the border and am curious as to what they are.

I believe they are Crane Fly grubs known as leather jackets, they eat roots of plants and are not good news, we all have them in our gardens, when I find them I give them to my chickens and of course wild birds love them. Here is more info

Hi Norfolk, thanks for the link. Those grubs look a little more translucent, although mine were covered in mud which may have made them appear less so. Any that get eaten, get eaten but I don't have anything to feed them to and I don't want to kill them just for the sake of it. I'll hold of with the pesticides and hope they don't cause too much damage.

Hmm difficult to tell from a photo, only other I can think of is the Chaffer grub, more info here

..or vine weevil

Leatherjackets - they are baby craneflies - I normally give them to the birds on the bird table or deal with them like slugs (big boot) they eat the roots of plants especially grass

Leatherjackets - very partial to baby lettuces, loosing virtually one a day at the moment.

Either Chafers/Leatherjackets - we lost a big part of our lawn to them.

• Nigella ' Persian Jewels ' from Flowercrazy
  • Love is blossoming all over my yard it seems !
  • Damsol flies (for Sticki and Surreylad!)
  • Double Take!!