By Expats

France Fr

We have planted spring bulbs (crocus, daffs, tulips, etc.) around our fruit trees. This year, when they came into flower, we found many stems were cleanly severed (almost as if by a knife) and bulbs dug up and scattered about; but not eaten. We have many red squirrels, jays, and other birds together with moles (although there were no hills around the plants) a badger often visits and wild boar and deer are common.
Any ideas of the possible culprit(s)

Lot of culprits there, expats! Squirrels might have dug them up? Badgers and boar are likely to have made a mess of the grass whilst rooting through it; deer would have eaten the foliage; jays - I dont know but wouldn't have thouight they had the strength to pull large bulbs out of the ground.

Bulbaholic, Thanks for your reply. The phantom 'culprit' has struck again so I'll just have to live with it.