Essex, United Kingdom Gb

do poppy's affect the soil condition

No I've never noticed they do - they seem very shallow rooted when I've pulled any plants up - only thing to watch out for is once you've got them and they go to seed you'll see loads more come up the following year!!!

They prefer recently disturbed soil. That's why they grow in fields and where the council have recently dug up the verges!

They were the first plants to grow after the war, not THAT IM that old to remember

I believe Poppies like Poor Soil 2 grow in Rayleigh :)

during the great war the artillery & horses churned the soil up so much in the Flanders Fields that after every major sortie seeds were brought to the surface and given the light they need to germinate. as they flower in 6 weeks and set seed they regularly bloomed.

They will take some nutrients from the soil but that is replaced as the plant decomoses back to the soil. I love my poppies too.

Should have no affect at all ~ if their papaver then jst look foward to glorious blooms year after year. ;)

• North Shropshire
  • Corn Poppies  (from blog) (corn poppies)
  • Papaver Orientale........Victoria Louise (Papaver orientale (Oriental poppy))
  • Papaver orientale 'Doubloon' (Papaver orientale (Oriental poppy))