By Gaia01

Midlothian, Scotland, United Kingdom Gb

I have rescued a Skimmia from a friends garden. It hasn't grown in 3 years. It's a pretty pathetic specimin ..only about a foot tall. I've put it in a pot with ericacious compost and watered it with sequestrine as it's pretty yellow. How long should I leave it to see if there's any hope of recovery and is there anything else I should do to help it?

Any chance of putting it in the ground? It may very well do better there, or try a larger pot.

Sorry.... I mean in my friends garden the Skimmia hadn't grown for 3 years not since I potted it up. Just wondering how long it will take before I know if I'm doing it any good?

Patience, Gaia01!

AAaawwww not my strong point which is frustrating as it's required in abundance in the garden. Many a plant has probably met with an untimely end due to my inability to wait and see.... but I'll try. One more thing Bamboo...It just has flowers and has never produced that cos it's in a bad way?

Unlikely, you may have a male cultivar - these don't produce berries, and female cultivars need a male nearby in order to produce berries anyway (though there are one or two cultivars that are unisexual)

Didn't know about the male/female thing...Thanks for that Bamboo

you should see some greening up in about 2-4 weeks, Well done for rescuing it. but it would be happier in the garden like Bamboo says. Lots of plants have male and female flowers either on one plant or as in skimmia on separate plants.

Might try and squeeze him in my garden somewhere if he'd be happier...but i'll wait to see if there are signs of rejuvination first.Thanks