By Zachary

Avon, United Kingdom Gb

whilst on holiday in mallorca i saw a fragrant climbing plant with purple and white spiral flowers.It was flowering in september and i have been unable to identifyit.

Pity no picture Zachary.

Does it look like this, Zachary?

If so, and it has snap-bean-like leaves, it's probably a Snail Vine--unfortunately quite frost tender.

Thanks for your suggestion,but I am sure it isnt a Snail Vine.It climbs up wire fencing,using tendrils,like a sweet pea.I have only ever seen one of these plants.The perfume is very strong when in flower and out of season there is little foliage to see.

Well I have been looking through the many species of Lathyrus, Pisum, and Vicia--which genera the mention of tendrils brought to mind--native to Mallorca, but the few pictures I am able to access don't look particularly spiral. Of course, it is also possible that it's an introduced species, too. Hmmm...

Thanks again for your efforts.I think I may have to settle for enjoying it and never knowing its name.That is not so bad.

True of a lot of plants I ran into, Zachary.