Kent, United Kingdom Gb

I have just moved into a grade II listed cottage. The front aspect is north facing and I would like to grow a climber up the front aspect (preferably a rose climber). I am concerned if this would damage the foundations of the cottage. I wonder if someone could advise me, I am pretty green when it comes to gardening knowledge. (excuse the pun). Thank you.

Hi Oliver and welcome to GoY I'd check first to make sure you are allowed to grow a rose on the wall. It is going to need a trellis to climb up which would need to be attached to something. Also if the front of the house faces north you are not going to have a happy rose.

My climbing rose "Golden Showers" does well on a north wall. It gets just a glimmer of sun at the end of the day. I suppose it might do even better on another wall but it seems happy enough even after 25 years. There are various clematis which you could grow succesfully in that situation too.

we owned a couple of cottage,grade two as was made from wattle and probably wont be allowed to put anything against the walls but like moon grower says you need to check.
we didnt take the could always plant things on a free standing frame as long as the roots are planted 3ft away from the foundations.

Why not put a arch not far from your door and grow the climbing Rose that way. or a small arbour .A wooden arch or a metal arch would be ok.
If needs be get some wooden trellis

« when can i cut my garden hedge.