By Hubbard

Buckinghamshire, England Eng

I have a boing porch which I would like to grow a climber against/over. Someone suggested Wisteria but also said it takes years to flower. Any suggestions on something quick to climb or is Wisteria the best...confused as I'm new to this gardening lark

How About a Clematis or Summer Jasmine. I Quite like clematis montana species myself, they come in all colors of flowers.

Which way does it face, North, S,E ,W? This makes a big difference to what will grow and flower.

I'd repeat Volunteer's response - the aspect is all important, but otherwise, unless your porch is huge, I wouldn't even consider growing wisteria and jasmine officinale.

Thanks - taken onboard about the Wistera and appreciate the comments - My porch is south facing. What about Russian Vine, just read that it is very quick and hardy.

dont know about the vine hubbard they grow very big, 40/50 feet and i believe they can be invasive and grow very fast. what about looking up some climbing roses

Oh goodness, no, that's even worse - it's not commonly known as the Mile a Minute Vine for nothing, and I wouldn't mind if it stopped, it just keeps going for miles and miles...
Have a look at Trachleospermum jasminoides - south facing would be great for it, if you can give the roots a bit of shelter from hot sun. Don't plant too close to the porch - put it a foot away and lead it over to the porch. This plant is evergreen with very fragrant white flowers in summer.

might try this myself bamboo, how does it climb?, does it need help or does it stick to a surface , you know lilke a virginia creeper.
yes would definately stay away from the russian vine hubbard

Many many thanks - it's good to know there's peeps out there I cant talk to and get advice. Looks like it will be Trachleospermum jasminoides. When would the best time be to plant it

Any time now, Hubbard, though perhaps after easter, given the weather forecast.
Havoone - its a twiner, so needs something to twine around, rather like a clematis does.

Many thanks to you both - very helpful. After Easter it is then..

• Now
  • Summer 07 Front Garden
  • 2008
  • Broom and Wisteria .