what is the best position for an acer in pot

Out of wind, in a sheltered area, not in full sun. Mine are planted in dappled sun, sheltered.

Mine a pot.....for the past 16 years!!

If you can plant in the ground as easier to look after than in a pot...

mine has been in a pot for 10yrs, it gets mid morning sun then light shade for the rest of the day. its in the lea of the house and i have to water it carefully.

Mine seems to thrive ok in a pot and with it being a dwarf variety, the canopy is higher and more easily seen and enjoyed. It gets top dressed most years and doesn't seem to mind my forgetting to water it from time to time :o)

My acer been in a very large pot for about 15 years now and is about 6 feet high. We have an exposed east-facing garden, so it lives on the west side of a very large contorted hazel that takes the brunt of the cold blast. I give my acer, and it's camellia companion, a fleece jacket for the worst of the winter and usually uncover them towards the end of March, when the wind direction changes to a more acceptable direction. The house casts it's shade from about lunchtime onwards , so it never gets really wind scorched.

• bizzy lizzies around acer
  • Little Acer (Acer)
  • Acer palmatum dissectum 'Garnet' (Acer palmatum)
  • Acers For Amblealice from my Fourseasons blog