Merseyside, United Kingdom Gb

I have a bin full of compost which i had intended to use in drills prior to sowing seed potatoes.The bin alas is visited by rats is it okay to still use ???

yes it should be fine. just wash your hands well afterwards.

I would say, spread it out on a sheet of polythene, then water it with a solution of Armillatox, 10mls to 5litres of water. Cover for 2 to 3 days, leave open for a week. Open your drills, spread in the compost. Plant the seed potatoes from late march onwards when the ground is frost free.

Docbob, is that because of Weil's disease that you suggest sterilisation in this way? Or another reason?

Yes Bamboo, it is the best way to cover any follow on of any disease, fungus and many pests. Although sterilisation only lasts for a short time. If there is a source near at hand to recontaminate compost/soil it is very short lived. Only use small amounts of chemicals on foodstuff.

• Behind the greenhouse
  • Multipurpose Compost
  • A garden flower photo
  • Compost bins with willow and pond