Dorset, United Kingdom Gb

my leylandii have been in a year and just starting to grow, they are about 6ft but very spindley, what do i need to do to get them to bush out now?

You take the tops off to make them bushier. But they will do this any way once they get a hold they will grow up and out, They grow up between 3-5ft per year!

Oh NO!!!

They will make a super hedge - but only if you clip them from the start. Take out the top foot or so and give them a light trim all round. It may seem silly when you want them to grow - but they will be much better for it. Twice a year you will need to give them a good all - over trim to keep a good shape - if you don't you will end up with a tall spindly hedge that will die off at the base and look awful - and cost you a fortune to remove. But if they are looked after they can be great hedges!

Oh dear... the dreaded leylandii - don't worry, you'll be paying an arm and a leg to some company once a year to keep them restrained within 3 years

Yes, true Bamboo....I'M paying to have the hedge cut between me and the neighbour...(his hedge)... he is never at home and it is just growing out of hand....a couple moved in to another house up the road and removed the Leylandii hedge and gained 15 feet of garden space.....I rest my case...:<(