How and when should I prune my Salix integra Hakuro Nishiki

On plant Salix integra

Prune in early spring to encourage new growth, and to reshape/restrict. If you have a standard version, don't prune below the graft point.

Not if you want catkins you don't. All willows are normally runed once the catkins have finished as they flower on new wood. This gives them time to regrow during the Summer for next years display.

I don't think that this one is grown for catkins, is it? I thought it was for its lovely foliage - so I agree with Bamboo. Sorry, Ob.

Well I prune ours in early Summer and get a good display of the coloured leaves when they first open in early spring on the new wood produced from Summer onwards. Ane we get catkins too!

Really? That's great - I haven't got this willow, I've just seen it in other gardens, and like the foliage.

They do produce catkins, Spritz - but for some reason, not all of them. Loads of people never get catkins at all, despite not pruning, so they seem to be variable in terms of flowering.

Thanks a lot. Will do.

• Salix Hakuro Nishiki (Salix integra)
  • Standard Willow (Salix Integra 'Hakuro-nishiki')
  • Tink it Salix integra somthing like that (Salix integra)
  • Salix Itegra 2 year cutting (salix Integra)