Edinburgh, United Kingdom Gb

Thanks for those who answered my previous question.Here is another one. I have grown leeks - can I leave them in the ground over winter or do I have to pull them up before the frosts

Leave them in, I've heard that they taste better after frost.

hi, guest,
as you like us why not join us. you will be sure of a good welcome.
Like heron, i have always been told to leave them in the ground as the frost is spposed to help.
i leave mine in as i have no where to store them. at least they are fresh when i do pull them.

you can leave them in and pull as you want them, look forward to you joining us on a more permanate base cheers

SGB you got over the line befor me lol

it tends to be the other way round cliffo. Just got back from taking the girls riding or i would have been on earlier.

Welcome Onetouch to GoY - I'm sure you enjoy asking questions and 'chatting' to us all. I'd agree by the way on leaving your leeks in the ground.

well hello onetouch. a very warm welcome to GoY.

leave them where they are, in really bad weather you can lift a whole bunch keeping the roots well covered with soil and keep them by the back door. It saves you having to clar about in the mud daily.

Hey another Scottish GoYer! Now you are even more welcome!

in fact he joined in june , just hiding

Thanks everybody for your answers. I have to say you are all pretty quick and friendly -very impressive. Looking forward to being a bit more active and not having to rush out and pull up my leeks.

Cheers all

One Touch

• Winter vegetables at Heligan
  • Leeks
  • Winter Cabbage
  • Heligan