Help - I have a shrub that I have discovered in an old container. It has grown realtively well but not extensively. My concern is that it looks a little like Japanese Knotweed BUT it has flowers on the arching branches during the summer that look like bleeding hearts. I love it but obviously do not want to transfer it the garden if it is the dreaded Knotweed. Does anyone have any ideas what it could be?

Can you post a photo? or you could plant it out and wait to see the result.

Think you can relax Carolineann the flowers you describe are not at all like those of Japanese knotweed - white and feathery plumes .

The most obvious plant from your description would be Dicentra spectabilis - bleeding heart .

If the flowers were white, it could also be Solomon's Seal, which is taller and more "canelike". The other plant it might be if it has cane like stems is Leycesteria?

Wahoo ... Its Leycesteria - I have just been out in the garden in the darken skies and planted it. Thank you so so much! Caroline

« show me some passion fruit vines please