About Spanish Flag...

By Sid

Hereford, United Kingdom Gb

I'm just pawing over my seed catalogue and I'm rather taken by a plant called Mina Lobata - Spanish Flag. It says it's a type of Ipomoea. Does anyone know if this plant is as easy to grow as Ipomoea please? It looks very exotic and I'm unsure if I will be able to offer it the correct conditions. Any help appreciated! Sarah.

On plant Ipomoea lobata

Oh, it's great! The seeds are quite easy to germinate but need warmth or the shoots go pale. Sprout them in a greenhouse or windowsill, not too early in case of cold weather. Plant out in June with canes as it is a twiner, it curls round the canes and grows to 6 or 7 feet. The flowers are wonderful and it should set seed that germinates next year too, so collect some at the end of the season. I think I'll try some again next year too.

Thanks Volunteer - I don't think I've got any room for it.....but I always seem to find a space for something new!!!! lol

It doesn't take up much room and you can grow it through something else, like a shrub that has finished flowering.

Ah, that's a good idea - I've got a silvery Pittosporum that's crying out for a partner! Thanks Volunteer :-)

• Mina lobata - Spanish Flag (Ipomoea lobata)