when and how to prune camelias

By Ceebee

Australia Au

i live on the south of nsw. australia.mild climate,no frosts.ty

In all the years we've had ours it has never been pruned. Is still less than 2 metres in height and has been in situ for 15 years now. However, there is plenty of info on this Gardening Australia website

I have several, some varieties can grow large fairly quickly while others are slower and smaller. I've never pruned any of mine either other than to remove the occasional wayward shoot.

If you want to prune, do it little and often - they don't really like hard pruning occasionally, so trim it over after its flowered in particular, also remove any dead wood periodically. Otherwise, remove a bit here and there when you want to. That said, I did hack back by half a 7 x 7 foot one this year in June and it has grown and survived, but I took the chance because it either had to be pruned back, or be removed, so if it died, it died.

• Camellia - Margaret Davis picote
  • White camellia 'Nobilissima' (Camellia japonica (Camellia))
  • Mum's Camellia (Camellia japonica (Camellia))
  • Camellia