Anyone know the name of this shrub?

By Janey

Lincolnshire, England Eng

Planted in sandy soil by the edge of the Humber, these silver grey shrubs are a picture with the long spikes of yellow berries...........does anyone know it's name?

This is Sea Buckthorn (female plant with berries) Hippophae rhamnoides.

Highest vitamin c content of any native plant too though it will turn your face inside out if you eat one! Lol

Great....thanks Fractal, that's interesting about the Vitamin C, is it used in medicine?

Sorry, don't know if it is used today? I saw a program with Ray Mears and he showed how neolithic people would have used this. They mashed up the fruits to a pulp and strained the juice off. It was very ascorbic but he said it would definitely be used. Can't remember what he did with it next though?

Janey do you have any pictures of your humber walk?

where abouts are you from then as I live near the humber.

saw them boiling it up in ray mears too.

Iwas born in Hull Seaburngirl and left when I was 5. Dad came from Beverley we often visited that area. We drove over Humber bridge the day it was opened.

Thanks all for such an interesting response!....:o) We live in Winterton near Scunthorpe, and regularly visit Beverley...its beautiful like a mini York...:o)
I've some more pics of this walk and visit to Waters' Edge at Barton upon Humber..... Fraid I pulled my back this morning and can't sit down, for long ....:o( In a few days I'll write a blog with the pics...........

That would be good Janey.Hope your back gets better soon.