Surrey, United Kingdom Gb

A lot of moss has grown on my garden soil this year. Is it because we had such a wet year? I have been removing it as it looks unsightly. Is this a good idea. Should I water something on. It is between all the perennials. Which have now died down. F everfew

Answers

I think if this weather continues we will be having Canadian waterweed growing in our borders! I would wait until the weather improves hopefully in the spring and then just dig it in. If you have anything to mulch with you could use that to cover it, which would kill it off by excluding the light.

Thanks S. I'll wait until spring.Hope springs eternal &all that. Feverfew.

If you lightly hoe the soil on a regular basis it keeps the top inch or so much crumblier and drier and moss is far less likely to grow.

Moss is usually only seen in very wet rarely disturbed soil

Even "drier" is very wet here at present!

Indeed. this past year has certainly been the wettest I can remember.

I reckon we've had only 4-6 weeks of normal weather since April in my part of the world ( North Cambridgeshire) and almost all of those weeks were in late September/October

THanks for the comments. We had about two lovely hot weeks here in Surrey, about the end of April. I haven't done much sitting in the deck chair with my book this year!

...not without an umbrella, anyway!!

The birds will take it in the spring if you still have any left!