Tunisia Tn

Could any one give me the correct name for a mahonia i have seen many times in others gardens but never know the name, it has very twisted branches and reaches about five or six feet high but all the leaves are at the top, it would lend itself to a japanese garden it has that sort of look.

Sorry no idea but if you browse these pix you might just find

Thanks moon grower, will try that.

It's mostly likely to be Mahonia japonica or Mahonia media. The latter has several varieties, the most common one being 'Charity' - there's also Winter Sun and Buckland, all varieties of M. media. Usually when you see one that looks twisted, it just means the plant had become dense and large, and the owner has then come along and remove some branches and taken the lower leaves off others. Google the ones I've mentioned and see if they're suitable for your purposes.

Thanks Bamboo! I think your right about the mahonia being pruned to the desired shape, i just wanted to be sure it wasnt a particular type before buying, i will brows and choose soon.

Remember to check the eventual heights - some get much taller than others.

I wrote a blog about mahonias last winter. You might like to read it before you go off to the Garden Centre to buy one

• Mahonia   ' Japonica '
  • Mahonia media Charity. (Mahonia x media (Lily of the valley bush) Charity)
  • Frosty Mahonia (Mahonia japonica)
  • Mahonia  ' Charity '