Moving a young Olive tree

By Nariz

Spain Es

I have a four-year-old Olive tree that we brought with us from Britain, now 2' high and planted in the ground since early this year. I would like to move it to another location in the garden. Is this possible and, if so, when is the best time?

Hi Nariz. The simple answer is yes. It should be relatively easy to move at that height too. If you can roughly remember the size of the rootball, place the spade slightly further out and cut down into the soil repeatedly with the spade leaning back slightly until you have a circle around the plant. Once done, ease out carefully with the spade onto a sheet of polythene. This makes it easy to transport and the plastic can be pulled out and away easily from under the roots in the new planting hole.

Soak well just before filling the last bit of backfill soil in. If you water after you have filled in, the water may go everywhere and not get down to the roots as effectively.

Thanks Fractal, Is it best to do this now rather than wait until Spring?

Should be fine at that size to do now.

• Prunus incisa - Snow showers (Prunus incisa)
  • Sunset behind the Poplar
  • From tiny acorns mighty oak trees grow
  • Donadea Forest