please id this

By Mookins

Norfolk, United Kingdom Gb

beautiful little green thing growing in a semi shaded area. Cannot remember planting it so possibly grown from seed or something

just need to know what it is to determine whether its the best spot for it

x x x

It looks like a tree seedling, Moonkins. Does it have a woody stem? How about cherry or plum.

It's a Prunus (Cherry) of some sort, probably Prunus avium. You can tell by the two yellow glands either side of where the leaf stalk joins the base of the leaf.

Wow! answered at exactly the same time Bulbaholic!

we get suckers coming up from the ornamental cherry--quite a way from the parent, when theyve grown a bit I move them on

Great minds, Fractal, great minds!!!

ooh how exciting, wonder how long that took to grow then as I havent eaten cherrie for a while (i throw the pips of most fruit in the garden with the hopes of something happening)

wow... thanks everyone, we were going to buy cherry trees too...shant bother now will look after this little baby instead

x x x

If you're going to keep this tree, Mookins, I suggest you dig it up in the spring just as the new buds swell. Replant it at least two foot away from fences and at least twenty foot away from any buildings.
Cherry trees are shallow rooted and can cause root heave, lifting lawns and damaging foundations.

Righto Thank you I have a perfect spot for it nearer the bottom of the garden

thanks again

how exciting x x x

• Cherry Blossom
  • Winter - flowering Cherry.
  • Cherry tree
  • Ornamental Japanese Apricot, Prunus mume,'Beni-Chidori' (flight of the red Plovers) (Prunus mume 'Beni-Chidori')