Can I use rotten apples as a soil fertilizer?

Will this make the soil too acidic?

My advice would be to put them in the compost... rotting vegetation, if I remember correctly, actually takes nutriment from the soil to help it break down.

yes i would compost them first. you can leave them on the soil for the birds to feed on. then lift them and compost them later.

As far as I remember, fruit needs to be composted separately from other material, unless its just peelings.

i just mix it in with every thing else without trouble.

You'd probably know better than me, Seaburn, but its something to do with fruit fermenting, so the rotting down process is somewhat different - like leaves needing to be composted separately to make leafmould compost - frustrating, I can't really remember clearly. I'm sure one or two is fine, but it was if you had loads of fruit

If there is a lot of apples I would let them rot down partly before putting in the compost, which is what SBG suggests. Leaves can be put in your general compost but if you want leaf mould you need to compost on their own.

• Apple Blossom
  • Crab Apple now in Blossom
  • Clematis & crab apple arbour  (malus, clematis)
  • Apple Blossom 2 (Malus domestica (Apple))