Bridgend, United Kingdom Gb

I notice some online sell plants by bare root. What are they mean by 'bare root'?

It especially seems to be by sellers who sell perennials say 20 plants for a tenner sort of thing.

The plants have been grown in the ground, not in pots, and will arrive with a little soil around them but not a lot wrapped in wet newspaper and packaging. Works for woody shrubs, hedging, trees and the like but not for things like lupins. Time to plant them is now through to early spring so long as the ground isn't frozen.

Fruit canes are generally sent from the growers as bare rooted stock and settle in just fine.

the chances are they will be small if they are only 50p each. But as Moongrower says they have been lifted from the soil. If they arrive and you cant get them out or they are very small pot them on into good compost and plant out in the spring.

The good thing with bare root is the fibrous roots are quick to grow, so you may end up with a strong plant by this time next year.

If you're getting them from thompson & morgan, they will be extremely small, I got some off them last year, and they looked to me as if they were unsold plug plants, they had been tipped out of the plug pots, which the roots had filled, and were getting no nutrients from, and bone dry, so therefore dead, I would never buy from them again, Derek.

From all that has been said on GoY I'l never buy from them!