Fruit tree?

By Simonp

Spain Es

I live in the centre of Madrid, Spain, in a top floor flat with a terrace. This plant has been growing for about a year now after appearing in one of the planters. We often throw fruit stones and pips into the planters which then sprout up. This time I have no idea what it is.
The climate in Madrid is pretty much one of extremes but it seems to have thrived.
If anyone knows what it is I would be grateful to know. We are moving to a house with a garden and I'd like to know if it is worth taking with us. Thanks

The leaves look very much like a cherry .Are morello cherries Spanish ? if so a lovely variety.

Could well be. We eat a lot of what are called "picotas" in Spanish. This translates to bigarreau cherry in the dictionary. They are larger and darker than the standard cherry.

• Cherry Blossom
  • Winter - flowering Cherry.
  • Cherry tree
  • Ornamental Japanese Apricot, Prunus mume,'Beni-Chidori' (flight of the red Plovers) (Prunus mume 'Beni-Chidori')