essex, United Kingdom Gb

Hi there, have bought penstemon as plug plants around 4-5 weeks ago (Mail order) have planted into 3inch pots and put in unheated greenhouse!! how do i keep over winter ?? or should they be planted out in position now??

any help would be appreciated

Being so small I wouldn't plant them outdoors till spring!

I would say; provided they are kept frost free as they are, they should be OK

I have rooted cuttings from my own penstemons,
they are in the cold frame now, and will be quite happy there until spring.

I have a cutting of a penstemon in my cold frame too: do you close the lid, Lizziebee, or only when frost is threatened?

my cuttings are also in the cold frame for winter. many penstemons are not that hardy. The influx of new cultivars are gorgeous but many dont survive below -10.

Yes Sheila I shall close the lid, when I am able to replace half of the glass that was broken when the wind flipped it up during one of the many storms. Do not have a local supplier of glass anymore.
Mine are old very hardy varieties.

Thanks everyone, and good luck Lyn!

Pot them into larger pots if the roots have reached the sides of the pots. Keep them on the dry side and water sparingly on mild sunny days as needed.

thanks everyone for comments, will leave as they are and look forward to the spring!!!!!