Another bulb question

By Reem777

Northanmptonshire, United Kingdom Gb

I decided that I didn't like where my Aliums were this year so waited until the leaves died down and have just dug them up. To my surprise (novice gardener!) each one had produced baby bulbs! I now have hundreds of the things.
What do I do with them? Do I just plant them in handfuls and let them get on with it?

Plant some of the babies with each of the big Alliums. They will take a few years to grow to flowering size. Isn't it great when Mother Nature gives as a present :-)

Depends which allium it is - if its the short, white flowered variety that smells of onions, get rid - they'll be all over the garden and you'll never be rid of them.

Alliums are great "givers" I started out with 10 bulbs a few years ago..I now have a whole bed of them...they just multiplied like crazy and naturalised. In a good summer - if we can remember what that is like....the heads dry and make wonderful indoor decor...very statuesque in a tall vase! Then their seeds drop out and can be planted out too...even if they DO take a few years to get to the flowering's always worth while!

They are the tall large blue ones, can't remember what they are called.

Hi Reem777...if you have a look at my pic of my allium bed that I put on my photos last night - you will see what can happen if you just let nature take its course with the lovely tall blue ones!! Enjoy nature's bounty!

If they're the drumstick one, like Alzheimer's (A. afflatuense) replant them, they're absolutely fab. The fact they're not white and don't smell of onions is enough for me to say replant them!