I am interested in planting a Liriodendron Tulipifera. However, My garden is subject to cold winds in the winter ( NE of Scotland). I realise it is classified as hardy but how would it cope with strong cold winds please?

By Mcneil

Location for planting will be near Alford, Aberdeenshire.

Many thanks in anticipation of assistance.

On plant Liriodendron tulipifera

I'm in Forfar and I've 2 tulip trees in the garden both planted about 8-10 years ago. The green one has twice had the tallest branch torn off in gales. We thought it was a goner, but it came back fine.
The bronze one has been okay but it has a bit more shelter.

Hi there, many thanks for your quick reply, that is a great help, I hope your trees will continue to flourish - I think I may buy one shortly!

Best wishes.

I know of a huge one at a large house in Christon Bank (mid Northumberland) in quite an exposed area too. I think the problem can be their branches being torn off in high winds but judging by the size of this particular tree and it's relatively exposed site, I would say go for it.

OK, Many thanks that sounds very optimistic as well, I appreciate your comment.

Rgds G

• Tulip Tree against blue sky (Liriodendron.) (Liriodendron tulipifera (Tulip tree))
  • Liriodendron tulipifera (Tulip Tree) (Liriodendron tulipifera (Tulip tree))
  • Leaf - Liriodendron Tulipifera (Tulip Tree) (Liriodendron tulipifera (Tulip tree))
  • Tulip Tree leaf.......Most unusual leaves, growing very fast....... (Liriodendron tulipifera (Tulip tree))